Search This Blog

22/12/2013

Considering Around 50 Lenses Deletion

Since traffic is so miserable on Squidoo these days, I'm considering the deletion of around 50 lenses I built in the past. Plus three built these past weeks - they are product review and one how-to lenslet which don't get any traffic at all.

All in all, let's put it in words. What's the benefit of deleting my Squidoo account?

Pros:

  • It's going to provide my own sites with new and fresh scheduled content for months,
  • I'll gather all my writings on just four sites, 
  • I'll have TOTAL control on what I write,
  • I'll be able to buy good targeted traffic for each site,
  • I won't have to share my commissions with anyone,
  • I'll save time to work on other things more important than modifying my lenses over and over again to comply with their ever changing TOS.

Cons:

  • This year was a total waste of time in terms of traffic and earnings but next year things might get better,
  • I worked hard for Squidoo and spent lots of time on this site,
  • I'd lose my autopilot earnings - but even when they're miserable I can use them to pay a domain name renewal ;)

Whatever I choose, I must do it as soon as possible.

First, all my lenses are saved onmy computer. I did that long ago and sometimes update my saved lenses, especially when I make some changes to comply the ever changing TOS. The beauty of the thing is that I number the lenses I add so I can see the lenses since their very first day of existence and rewrite them accordingly - with more products and often more content to feature.

So for example and because Halloween traffic that was very very low, was paid last week, I could start by deleting the lenses that don't show any pending payment. I'd break them into several parts that I could rewrite and post to my Halloween site. I'd schedule the posts to be published one per week. This would provide the site with constant content and, therefore, traffic.

Thanksgiving traffic: this year it was absolutely non existent. I myself wondered where my Thanksgiving lenses were gone to... Then found them in a very unusual rank... 

End of year holiday season traffic : will be paid in February. Then once this one paid, I could start deleting the lenses after payday, break them into several parts, and start scheduling Christmas posts on my site.

And then with the Valentine's ones - but I don't have that many lenses in this niche nor in any other holiday related niche, though :(

With these lenses posted on my sites, I could pay Facebook ads or Google Adwords ads for promotion. I could make a test drive to see if paying ads work and what they're actually worth. If these work well, then I won't lose anything. If they don't work, I'll lose more but I'm not sure that compared with this year's earnings it would hurt that bad.

And if Squidoo ever gets Google's love again, I'll just have to rebuild... product review lenses for these holidays. Short and easy to create - well for some, not for me I prefer to offer a wide array of different things to my readers than just one product review thing that's as boring as the "aunt Nellie's stuff" that is required nowadays from HQ.

All in all my account would still feature more or less 85 lenses  covering:

  1. Valentine's Day
  2. Mardi Gras
  3. Easter time
  4. Prom Night
  5. Mother's Day
  6. Father's Day
  7. Thanksgiving
  8. Recipes - that should also be deleted and moved else where
  9. Strawberries
  10. Some gift lenses
  11. Some toy lenses
  12. History lenses 

Hm... Food for thoughts.



Posted by Squidoo lensmaster Prosperity66

6 comments:

  1. Dom, I what I would do if I were you is rewrite the same topics into the blog. You get the pros of your list without taking the cons. Besides, if you do not delete your account, you are still prepared when Squidoo recovers the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roth :)
      To be honest I don't think they'll ever recover traffic. I do hope they get back in Google's graces however Google doesn't love anyone but themselves and their stock options and the like.
      I even fear for own sites - and plan on doing something new and different starting in January ;)

      Delete
  2. I've deleted quite a few lenses and will probably delete at least 50 more leaving around 50 still on Squidoo. I'm not re-applying for Giant because I won't do the lenslets. I did one but it was a complete waste of time. I'm not jumping through hoops any more for Squidoo.
    I think you're doing absolutely the right thing. I don't see Squidoo recovering traffic or position in Google (your analysis of Google is probably correct) so you'll stand a better chance with your own sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did reapply for Giant actually and regret it since I'm pretty sure now that I won't be able to produce at least their required 5 lenses a year. Why on Earth would I keep wasting my time that way? I dunno how giant status works nowadays, though, is there any amount of lenses needed to keep the status? Hm...

      Posting on my own sites on a regular base should help them recover from those years I neglected them. At least I hope so and am about to start to revamp another site of mine. It'll be the last one. The biggest of my sites, fingers crossed. With my new activities starting in January if they work well, I won't have much time to keep Squidoo, Hubpages and all my sites active. So had to make a choice. And if my sites don't recover as much as I want, I'll sell them and start over from scratch ;)

      Delete
  3. I am going to do the same thing. I joined in October of last year so I saw all the changes that happened I hope for the bet but it never happened. My biggest pet peeve among others is that there is Always a dumb bug to fix, with my own blog there will be no bug to fix and no updating when it not necessary recipes for example.

    I like reading your blog it has been very insightful
    Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, in addition to the constant changes, those multiple bugs are too much for us to keep on smiling. Thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete