Search This Blog

07/07/2011

Lens Indigestion - Strange Traffic Drop

Browsing Squidoo's Summer Fun category looking for bless worthy lenses today, I've got my (un)fair share of indigestion.

What have Squidoo's standards become? I spotted a so-called giant having built a lens that looked more like a trash-can than like a lens built by a newbie... though this lensmaster is a giant - and an old timer who has also power to decide on what's good and bad on Squidoo. I mean, this lensmaster is like me: an angel... who'd bless outstanding lenses. However, what's this lensmaster's notion of what's outstanding when one sees what's their own lenses?!?

I've also spotted a bunch of spam (almost all checked lenses were spam), plagiarized lenses (hoho... I thought we had some kind of duplicate content filter that would be triggered during the publishing phase whenever one would use duplicate/stolen/plagiarized content on our pages? Seems that it doesn't work at all. Or not entered into action yet :(

Have I been assigned the worst category on Squidoo? I don't think so, I hear so many angels who complain about the huge range of junk, spam, TOS violations, and the like they happen to see on their angeling duties.

Everything, from the one who copies/pastes their own store content, what they want to promote through Squidoo, but don't even take the time to rewrite their texts or add pictures/graphics/images, in order to make it attractive and, therefore, worth entering the payout category (as those lenses are related to hot keywords and might very well enter tier 1) and, therefore, prevent quality lensmasters from getting decent earnings to the one that violates the TOS building Squiddon't lenses, to those who simply don't care at all and just build keyword stuffed lenses hoping to rank high in the SERPs; I think I've been given the great advantage to start the day with an horrible indigestion!

On the other hand, I also noticed that since I posted my sincere and honest thoughts about the giant programme last week and that I disagree with it, traffic to my lenses dramatically dropped. I already spoke about it, but not on a public post.

As a matter of fact, how could someone explain how a lens that has 75,000 monthly searches; which sites on Google page result 1, 3rd position - no other lens before mine and before page 2 - doesn't get at least 1% of the monthly searches in traffic

I mean 1% is a really low share of the traffic if my lens is on Google's page 1: I've already had my sites on Google's page 1 and they got at least 10% of the traffic, though keywords didn't bring in 75,000 visitors!

Unless people reject Squidoo pages as a whole when they search on Google, there's definitely something wrong with those results! And I made a decision on analyzing my 5 best ranking lenses and study their evolution in order to learn why this can happen. More particularly when a similar lens sits for weeks on a higher lenrank although it gets less visits than mine and isn't listed on Google's page 1.

Ah well... let me share a few lenses that were bless worthy those days:


As usual, I'm going to ask you to pay those pages a visit: you won't regret the time you'll spend reading them and admiring their beautiful layout.

2 comments:

  1. I have given up reporting lenses now. My last run of report included a very graphic XXX lens...rated G! Plus a pletoria of stolen content. They are still up and running including the XXX lens. Plus the plagiarized ones are taking good spot on the tier 1 and 2 ranks. In my neighborhood I have trouble finding bless worthy lens, so I roam a little. I go on vacation soon, and after I will put more time of my websites and blog. I really wish squidoo do something about all the crap lens. I thought they would have time to do this since they left the forum to lensmaster mods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems that plagiarists have made a decision on meeting this summer on Squidoo since I also have seen a huge number of stolen content lenses! This was extremely depressing.

    Those that take the good spots in the 2 first tiers prevent others from getting a deserved position and revenue! But it seems that nobody really minds, apart from us, lensmasters, of course.

    I also thought that once HQ would wash their hands with the forum they would have been more involved in chasing the bad apples, but it doesn't seem to be on their list...

    ReplyDelete