Search This Blog

24/07/2013

A New Beta-Test Running on Squidoo? Or Does the Locking Madness Still Go on...

I woke up late today because of some family things that happened yesterday. I thus got late in bed and slept late - I'm someone who wakes up very early in the morning in general. Anyways... While drinking my first morning coffee cup, my eyes still half opened, I checked one forum and saw a bunch of threads relating to some kind of locking madness happening once again on Squidoo.

Then I quickly went to the official forums where the news were even worse! 

What happens right now? Well seems that HQ is currently locking lenses which have a lot of "no follow" sites linking back to them. 

But didn't Squidoo not long ago switched all their links back to other sites from "follow" to "no follow"?  Yes, they did !

So what's wrong with having a site setting outbond links to "no follow"?


It seems that while Squidoo consider themself being right, trustworthy, etc. setting these links as "no follow", they consider anyone outside of Squidoo not trustworthy having set up their own outbond links as "no follow".

Did I envision the new mess in the beginning of the year? Not really... But at least, the thing I planned to do was simply removing from other sites - article directories, social media, my own sites, etc. - all links pointing to Squidoo instead of turning them into "no follow links". I wasn't wrong at all: Squidoo now decided that "no follow" sites are sites that are spammed by others and, therefore, are bad/spam/low quality sites.

What does that mean?

That means that if tomorrow a site that is reliable as eZineArticles turns all their links into "no follow", Squidoo is going to consider them as untrustworthy. Given the fact that this site was online long before Squidoo and that it's filled with high quality articles, it's quite offending to see a site like Squidoo, that never removed spam and junk from their database judging others that bad!

How do I know that my lenses are linked from untrustworthy sites?

You don't know that. Unless you did the linking yourself. So, for example, I see your lens, find it useful, link to it from my personal blog without asking for permission - which isn't necessary since it's only linking to... - whenever I happen to have set up my blog to "no follow" external links, you're punished!

Yes, I said YOU!

You're punished for something you didn't do ! You're punished for something I did ! 

It's incredible, isn't it? 

This blog's external links aren't "no follow links", luckily for lensmasters whose lenses were featured on here but I have sites and blogs of which all links are set up as "no follow". Because I don't want those links to get more traffic juice (ethical marketing techniques), because I don't want anyone to spam my blogs (smart move) and because I do what I want with my blog, period !

This doesn't mean that my blogs and/or sites are spam or junk ! Only that I CHOOSE not to have "follow" links on them! After all, don't do they the same things?

That is really bad SEO technique and knowledge to assume that "no follow" means low quality or spam ! 

Unless... that new mess was the result of a new filter that's only in beta-test and for which the beta-test team isn't aware of what to do with locked lenses, or didn't get straight instructions or of which nobody from HQ check the problems the new filter brought yet.

All in all, I wish and hope it's just a brand new filter glitch...

No comments:

Post a Comment