Search This Blog

15/07/2013

The Squidoo Lens Locking Madness Goes On

Few mornings ago I noticed that the Squidoo lens locking madness was still going on although it was said that the locks were about to end. Actually they were at the end of the lens reviews and, therefore, locks. Hm... This was said more than one month ago ! Still there are entire lens accounts locked each and every day.

One week ago, I went back from a stay abroad and, as usual, while in my home country, I'm sick, having nausea and stomach problems. However, for once, that morning, I didn't feel sick. I was, instead feeling fine - miracles happen, you know!

At least, I felt fine until I opened the Internet and checked the Squidoo news - no, not HQ's posts, I mean news about Squidoo that are spread all over the Internet. In these news I learned that some lensmasters woke up with their entire accounts locked.

In no time, I got nausea and my stomach got painful in a way that it's never been! Really! I felt so bad, my head was hurting as well. My heart started beating so hard that I thought I was getting sicker than ever - maybe falling in the apples (not sure this is the good translation for telling how bad I felt). Actually, all calmed down five or ten minutes later. But it was really strange to me to get sick while reading that a few lensmasters I know and appreciate had their whole accounts locked. Not just a few lenses here and there - although those also have all my sympathy - I mean : entire accounts...

This was such a shock! 

Would it have been only one lensmaster, I might not have had headache or heart troubles... But several lensmasters was too much. And more particularly the lensmasters in question! Please note that those lensmasters aren't close friends of mine, I'm not particularly involved in their endeavours either, never followed them closely. However, I know them for a very long time as they're all old timers like me. I know what they did, I know their work since I've been an angel, I know they helped many new comers since they were active community people, almost all over the Internet including the old SquidU forums. I know them because of this. 

And these were people I'd never thought they would one day see their hard work threw away like we would do with garbage. No, never... 

The egotist part of me would have told me "Oh, if this happened to them, this surely can happen to me and sooner than later". However, I was so shocked that my case didn't matter at all! I wasn't able to think anything else but "why them"? Why their accounts? Why their lenses? What's HQ trying to do ? Suicide Squidoo? 

Because when you see outstanding lensmasters getting their accounts locked, you first think that the site is about to kill itself.

I don't know what are HQ's plans for the future, I even don't know if there's a future for Squidoo. 

The only future I can now see is that the site is becoming more and more desperate housewive designed, a site of which you can find 1,000,000's of - much older - copies on the Internet. Sites that already have their own share of audience, of which many housewives are fond of and that won't even take an eye on Squidoo. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend that these sites are bad, I just state that these sites already exist, they already have authority, they're already popular and do not need a new challenger.

What are the plans? What should be think about it? That with older lensmasters, taking such a route isn't doable? That with new Squids they could design such a site because they'd happily write such articles? That they woudln't mind not earning anything or only peanuts for doing so? Because those couldn't recall those old times when Squidoo was the best resource on the Internet. 

This might be the reason for the old timers getting their accounts locked all at once. In addition, those lensmasters have so many lenses - some of them have up to 1,000 and even more pages in their accounts - and how many in reality for those that own multiple accounts? They just couldn't fix such a huge amount of lenses and HQ knows it...

Not all old timers reached those stunning numbers, for sure. For example, even though I'm an old timer, it's been a while that I didn't produce anything on Squidoo. I haven't been able to create more than 200+ lenses in total. Even so, I deleted up to 40 until now. So I'm left with 166 featured lenses now days.

These are only assumptions, personal thoughts because nobody knows what are their plans in reality.



3 comments:

  1. I found the news shocking as well. It was a call to action for me. I've been trying to adjust the content of 660 lenses to match the new expectations.

    Now I've stopped doing that and just delete, delete, delete. Over 60 of my not-personal-enough lenses are gone. I killed them. Will it save the best content still in my account? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony of all that madness is that personal lenses - unless they're based on a topic that's extremely researched - don't perform. I moved some of them to my own sites and turned them into more general information pages.

      As for the good our "sales" lenses deleted, I'm with you on this : I don't know if cleaning up our accounts will save them at all.

      It has become a pain being on Squidoo these days :(

      Delete
  2. The ones I've deleted so far are pretty much non-earners. My hot topics have been laboriously reworked (most of them) to the new guidelines. At least I hope I've fulfilled the current requirements. Still have to tackle some seasonal ones.

    ReplyDelete