Search This Blog

20/01/2014

10 Valentine's Day Gifts Got Locked Today

Hohoho... No I'm not Santa Claus... I'm just finished laughing out loud as for the very first time since the locking madness, a lens of mine was locked.

It happened less than one hour ago and I've got that generic email that tells nothing - now I can have an opinion since I know how it works, you know. And I dislike the way you're told that your lens got locked. And I dislike the fact that there's no explanation as to why it got locked. It is a blatant lack of respect to lensmasters.

I don't really mind that lens was locked, actually it didn't perform well apart the very first year I built it so it can be locked, it won't affect my earnings nor my morale... However I think of other lensmasters: how on Earth could they work towards unlocking their lenses if they're clueless what's the matter? 

I've read the mail three times and couldn't help my self but laughing out of loud. What a silly situation. Well what to do now? Working hard to unlock the lens of course.

And since I'm pretty good at finding quick and easy ways to... along with writing tutorials, here's how I unlocked the lens. Beware: there is a twist...

How to quickly and easily unlock a Squidoo lens that was locked for whatever reason:


  1. Open your browser - doesn't matter which one you use IExplorer, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, whatever.
  2. Type the link to Squidoo in your navigation bar.
  3. Wait for a few minutes for the site to load.
  4. Click on "Login" on top left of the page.
  5. Type your email address and password and then click on the big orange button that says "LOGIN".
  6. Now you're in your lensmaster dashboard.
  7. Look for the lens that was locked.
  8. Do you see the four tiny links beneath the lens title? --> edit, stats, labels and delete
  9. Click on the "delete" link.
  10. Now you are brought to a white page on which you can see a rectangle.
  11. Click on this rectangle using the left button of your mouse.
  12. Type in your password.
  13. Now click on "OK" - it is written on a big orange button.
  14. The system is going to ask you if you really want to delete the lens and lets you know that it is irreversible - make sure you really understand that if you click "ok" you won't be able to access the lens any more.
  15. Click on "OK".

Voila. Quick, easy, and effective! Now you have unlocked your lens.

Luckily this lens was one that didn't perform well as said above. But what if they'd lock my best performing ones? Well I think I would be angry and probably wouldn't unlock them that way - though with me you're never sure about what I'd do or react...

But in the end, I loved the way I unlocked this one. I didn't want to waste my precious time trying to figure out what I did wrong to have it locked, nor did I want to jump in any of HQ's hoops... I'm currently quite sick (just back from the hospital once again) and don't want to increase my health problems. Squidoo isn't important enough for me to get into even worse health troubles.




Posted by Holly Day

4 comments:

  1. Love your way of dealing with locked lenses. As you know from the discussion on FB today, my Valentines lens got locked, along with other earners.
    Deleting them is actually a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said else where it's a time sensitive lock, Dee. Valentine's round the corner and they lock such lenses. What happens? Are they putting the finishing touch to the site suicide? I don't know but I really feel for all those who had their lenses locked this past year and even more now that the site should refrain from locking lenses. At this rate, they're going to be left without a single left lens and close the business.
      Deleting the locked lens was also a relief for me. I deleted +/- 70 since last May and don't regret a single one.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear about your lens. I think they are having another purge of older users. I have multiple lenses which were locked this morning for nonsense reasons (e.g. "Not in english" for three lenses over three years old which actually were) "poor quality" on several LOTD and purple star lenses, and on an already manually greenlit lens about a poem.

      I've been through this before, but it's not worth the hassle to keep having to sort it out each time - particularly when the accusations, like "Not in English" are obviously false.

      Delete
    3. Well we can just make assumptions, still there are signs and these signs don't help us see things in a bright light. Now if filters get confused between English and another language I don't wonder why we all end up having our lenses locked! Problem is that HQ doesn't listen to any of us :(

      Delete