Search This Blog

14/06/2013

HQ's input on what's "personal content lens"

Yesterday we've been invited reading HQ's input on what is a "personal" content lens. Well, I suppose the writer forgot to add "AMAZING PERSONAL CONTENT" lens. Since "amazing" is Squidoo's nowadays most used keyword - though I still don't know what "amazing content" means actually as what I consider "amazing" might not be what you consider "amazing".

I read the post, it is indispensable nowadays to read anything HQ writes. However I found it quite boring and think that if all lensmasters apply those new rules, Squidoo is going to have all their readers, and more particularly those that view us as a wonderful curated shopping resource, fall alseep.

HQ's post was written after we commented - in a negative way, of course otherwise this post wouldn't have any meaning - on the lens makeover I was talking about in my previous post.

So what did I learn from this post?

First, HQ's denial of the risks put the site at since their new TOS. It seems that they don't want to see that, while they keep the bulk of all earnings generated by the huge number of Squidoo lenses, individual lensmasters won't earn more than a few dollars each month, because of the smack Squidoo is currently facing. Traffic decreasing means less sales, less ad revenues, therefore less money. Ok, seen from HQ's position it might look like a big amount of money is still reaching their bank account. Seen froma lensmaster's position it is entirely different. Without this incentive, most of their top earners could leave and offer their services to other platforms.

Then it seems that the new direction Squidoo is following is the one of "emotion". Oh my... But the only emotion I want to know about is that reader looking for an espresso machine finding the right one on my lens an clicking that "buy me, buy me!!!" button ! (I'm so sorry, readers and buyers, but it is the plain truth; though I still love you very much).

So now we're asked to play the EQ and not the IQ any more. Good... EQ isn't my cup of tea : I keep my emotions in my privacy and want you to keep yours in your privacy, thank you.

Well using emotional writings, we can make new friends; however, if you're looking for that specific espresso machine and if I'm looking to sell it, becoming friends and speaking about our own private lives won't make us reach our goal. In addition, I just can't sell to my friends... that is something I refuse doing and never could do.

Luckily we're not obliged to talk about our aunt Bertha or Glenda or whatever her name - though some "amazing content lenses" do talk about their family members of which personally I don't mind.

We're now asked to make lenses about things we actually own. So, if I understand what you mean, and want to make a lens about espresso machines (nope, I already built one, it's just an example you know), I have to buy all the espresso machines I'm going to talk through on the lens??? Oh my, but I will end up the month broke and will have to sell thousands of espresso machines to pay for those I bought!

OK I misunderstood... I can make lenses about products I already have at home. Yay! I'm going to build a lens on that washing machine that I bought 15 years ago. Sure it's still sold on Amazon or Compact Appliances! Or that ironer that I lost somewhere in my house and of wich I even don't remember the brand. Or that coffee machine that didn't worked more than two months. Or those two rings that I bought in Africa and that nobody could find anywhere on the Web.

Seems however that somebody was able to create a lens about the black phone on their desk in just one hour... Well, that must be a very interesting read! Not to mention the high quality of a lens crafted in just ONE hour ! Especially when you learn that this person added a touch of humor. OMG! But it's Candy Land now ! Or worse: the Twilight Zone !

To add the cherry on the pie, you learn that this example of lens is the one that's required and that buyers will more likely buy from than the other one featured as an example of what not to do... Well, I'd rather buy from the Squidon't lens than from the phone one ! This being said, I don't need a phone right now and am in love with the modern one that I own.

What if you don't have anything to talk about in your house ? Well, no problem, talk about that trip to the zoo (that you never did) and try to sell a book about any animals you never saw. Or talk about the public garden in your neighborhood... if you live in the country side and there's no garden in the neighborhood, why don't you relate the last conversation you had with the farmer's cows next door ?

Comments posted after this article clearly show that there's something that's not working any more in Candy Land and that it is necessary to leave us work as we want to, as long as we stick to the overall rules and don't product forbidden stuff - I mean stuff that's forbidden on Google. The very first comment got a very disagreeable answer from our community organizer. Luckily there are still some lensmasters whose posts make sense. But I seriously doubt that HQ will hear any of us.

I don't like getting older but this time, I'd like to celebrate my next birthday so that I can see where Squidoo has gone... if it's still up and running, though.






No comments:

Post a Comment