Search This Blog

06/06/2013

My Opinion on that New Discovery Bar

So Squidoo has launched a new beta test : the discovery bar. That's an old one... They've always launched new discovery bars and never kept any of them. Ah well, I suppose I have to live with it, once again... To say the truth, I think all these beta tests we've seen over and over again and that are just redos of former ones are tiring.

Here's my take on that new "discovery bar".

At first, I tried to see it, especially when some reported that this discovery bar was a giant one that would prevent people from even reading the lens they landed to. I've seen nothing. Firefox: nothing. Chrome: nothing. But I'm in Europe and we have new cookie policies, and though it might be the reason I'd not see this huge bar.

Little later on, I went to check that bar once again and found it. 

I just DO NOT want of this bar on my lenses. First when I checked its content I noticed that it didn't feature any of my lenses. Second, in the three featured lenses there was one that was just a copycat lens of mine ! So why on Earth would I send my visitors to someone's lens that's been copied from mine ? 

This being said, now I understand why this lens doesn't get traffic any more :(

We can't choose the lenses that appear in the discovery bar and this makes me angry because I don't want to send traffic to someone that created junk, TOS violation or garbage stuff.

Once again HQ is doing things without asking for lensmasters' opinion. In the end, we drive traffic to Squidoo, therefore, we should be able to choose whether we want or don't want to drive traffic to bad lenses or lenses that compete agains ours.
And as said above: I don't wanna drive traffic to lenses that don't meet Squidoo's guidelines and that can make people think I'm not honest nor do I want to drive traffic to lenses that are using my topic, my writings, my pictures... or something too similar.


No comments:

Post a Comment