Search This Blog

19/03/2014

Difference Between Locked Lens and Unpublished Hub

Last week while updating and republishing a Squidoo lens of mine (Strawberry Love), I got the prompt message that the lens in question was considered "low content quality" lens (not sure this is grammatically correct, although I'm not an English speaker, it is nevertheless the way Squidoo spells it) and that I could whether keep editing it, delete it or send a greenlight request.

Although the update I was doing was dead links, deleted lenses and keyword density, I didn't see any other reason for the lens to get flagged this way. Therefore I asked for a greenlight.

Surprise! The lens was locked right away! The email I've received included only this message:

"Text for message is unavailable."

With such a message no doubt I'd be going to understand why my lens was locked.


Therefore my reaction was deleting the lens.

I must say this lens was a lensography. Indispensable tool for a niche of mine - the Strawberry lens collection. I was known for adding actual content on my lensographies, one of the rare lensmasters to do that from the very beginning. I just was always unable to create link collections only, that is why I always added a bunch of content before providing links to the related lenses.

So this lensography was not a "low quality content" one, nor did it lack of content. In addition it didn't feature a single product for sale. It was just a lensography. 

Anyways. Given the poor number of traffic my lenses get these days, I don't think anyone will notice the disappearance of this lensography. 

I presume the lens got locked righ away because I'm not a giant any more. Since my lost status, most of my lenses dropped from higher tiers and I won't say that I dare updating them often.

I've read on other places that filters tend to lock content lenses these days. I don't really understand the goal behind this but it's their decision, it's their site and they do whatever they want to.

How HubPages Deals with Duplicate Content Hubs


Yesterday at 7 PM (GMT +1), I received an email from the HubPages team. I learned that a brand new Hub I published on Sunday afternoon was unpublished because it was found as being a duplicate content page. The email wasn't the most agreeable one I've ever received and it didn't provide real information (where I could find this content, etc.) 

So I searched for a potential duplicated page and found it in one second.

My Hub's content was scraped and posted on another blog yesterday, this is how HubPages discovered similar content on the Web. 

I thus left a message to the culprit demanding the content removal, I filed to Blogger (the webhost), Name Cheap (the domain registrar), Google Adsense (monetization), and so on. 

I ended up in HubPages forums asking if I should leave the Hub as it was, even unpublished and hope for a reinstatement or just delete it and move it to my own site.

My very first time in 6 years in HubPages' forums... The support was great: I've gotten a bunch of replies very quickly, suggestions, recommendations, etc. Other members found out that their Hubs were stolen and posted on the very same blog as well. Then someone suggested me to contact the Hub team and ask for a reinstatement along with proof that MY content was stolen.

I didn't think of keeping in touch with HubPages' HQ. Well, I didn't want to wait for weeks before getting a reply nor did I want to hear that they didn't mind and that if I didn't like it, I was free to pack and leave. But I eventually contacted them and at 10 PM (GMT + 1), therefore 3 hours after the Hub was unpublished, it was reinstated! 

I've received a very short email from their HQ but it made me feel good. My email was received, read and replied in less than 1 hour. Someone listened to me. I've never gotten a reply that fast and I'm still stunned with the way this case was handled.

It was also the very first time I've ever got a problem on HubPages... And when I've received the unpublishing mail, I was questioning the three next History Hubs I'm about to publish. Now I don't question them any more, they'll go on HubPages, nowhere else. Time also to complete my Tarot cards collection on this site. 

I digressed a bit from the ebook publishing guide but through this post I also wanted to let you know the link where the thief does post stolen content, just in case you'd have Hubs or other pages' content scraped and posted on there.

Here's the link to the culprit (replace the [dot] with actual dots):

www[dot]travelcloud[dot]me

Here are the actions I took yesterday:

  • Posted on the site itself a comment demanding content removal right away.
  • Reported to HubPages staff with link to the original work and the culprit,
  • Reported to NameCheap : its domain provider (feedback@namecheap.com),
  • Reported to Adsense: https://support.google.com/adsense/contact/violation_report?rd=1
  • Reported to Google using this new form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVOVRyr4a7ezj_6SHghnX1Y6bp1SOVmy60QjkF0Y/viewform

always link to the cached page of your stolen work as, since HubPages unpublishes your Hubs in this case, it is proof that the work does exist.


That's it for today. See you soon for a new ebook publishing installment :)



 
Posted by Holly Day

No comments:

Post a Comment